Sign language interpreting is available for academic classes and class-related activities, extracurricular activities, and university events both on and off campus. Requests for sign language interpreting may be submitted by current and prospective students, university personnel, event coordinators, and community members attending a university event. In most cases programs and departments are responsible for the cost of interpreting.
Students Requesting Sign Language Interpreting
The AEC provides sign language interpreting for students whose primary language is American Sign Language (ASL).
To request sign language interpreting through the AEC, please follow these steps:
- Meet with an AEC advisor who will then refer you to the Sign Language Interpreting Coordinator, firstname.lastname@example.org, 541-346-1061.
- Provide your class schedule to the interpreting coordinator as soon as you have registered for classes. Late requests may result in a delay in interpreting services.
- Requests for services beyond regular classroom hours (extracurricular) must be made 10 working days in advance.
- FINAL EXAMS: Because many classes do not have final exams, interpreters will not automatically be scheduled during final exam week. If you will need interpreting services on a final exam, confirm the day and time with the interpreting coordinator at least 10 working days in advance.
Policies for Interpreting Services
Priority for accommodating service requests are as follows:
- Lecture/Lab/Discussion sections for course
- Activities outside of classroom that are required for the course
- Student/Professor meetings
- University-sponsored extracurricular event
If you know you are going to miss class, notify the interpreting coordinator as soon as possible that you will not need scheduled interpreting services. The coordinator should receive notice at least two working days in advance when you are planning to miss a class.
If you miss a class without notifying the coordinator in advance, the absence will be considered a 'NO-SHOW'. After two 'no-shows' in any one class, your interpreting service will be canceled for that class. An appointment with the interpreting coordinator will be required to discuss reinstatement of services.
The interpreter will wait 10 minutes for each hour of class for you to arrive—waiting a maximum of 20 minutes. If you have not arrived within that time, the interpreter will contact the interpreting coordinator and submit a no-show form documenting your absence.
If an interpreter does not show up for a scheduled class, contact the interpreting coordinator as soon as possible. If possible, a replacement will be sent.
Requesting Sign Language Interpreting for Campus-Wide Events
To request sign language interpreting, please contact the UO Sign Language Interpreting Coordinator at email@example.com or 541-346-1061 at least 10 business days in advance.