Academic programs may include co-curricular experiential learning, or external placements, in the form of clinicals, internships, or externships. These experiences are for credit, but are distinct from the typical academic environment (lectures, discussions, exams, etc.). An external placement views a student as a trainee who works with a third-party organization in order to gain experience with the technical standards and essential requirements to satisfy a university degree, and at times, licensure requirements. These placements typically involve supervision by a university faculty member within the department of study along with a site supervisor at the third-party organization. They ordinarily are not paid and are not considered employees of the third-party organization. 

If accommodations are required for these types of co-curricular experiences, students should schedule an appointment with an access advisor to engage in an interactive process to determine reasonable accommodations for those settings, in collaboration with their program. Accommodations for these types of experience are intended to mitigate access barriers that may cause a disproportionate impact on students with disabilities based on the interaction of their disability and the placement environment.

It is helpful to initiate the interactive process well in advance of the term in which the experience will occur, but students can request accommodations at any time. AEC will coordinate with the student’s academic department and clinical/internship/externship liaison in determining and implementing reasonable accommodations. 

If a student is employed by UO (for example, as a Graduate Employee or student employee), workplace accommodations can be requested through UO’s Human Resources. More information about the HR Interactive Disability Accommodation Process