A formal complaint regarding a decision made by AEC or provision of (or denial of) an academic or housing disability accommodation or service must be made in writing, must state unambiguously that it is a “formal complaint,” and must be sent to the attention of AEC Leadership.
A student can make a formal complaint by using the AEC Formal Complaint Form at this link or by emailing the AEC Senior Director.
The formal complaint must describe the following:
- The specific accommodation or service issue that is the subject of the complaint,
- The date that the issue arose,
- The facts on which the complaint is based, and
- The resolution requested.
Due to the nature of the quarter system, in order to assess and resolve a complaint or appeal, formal complaints must be submitted within thirty (30) days from the time the student knew or could reasonably be expected to have known of the AEC staff action that is the subject of the complaint. The campus may treat untimely complaints as having been waived by the student based upon failure to assert the complaint in a timely manner.
AEC will seek to complete its review and notify the student of the outcome of the complaint within ten (10) days of the date it was received. Complex complaints may not be resolved within ten (10) days. Complaints made during summer and inter-quarter recesses also may not be resolved within ten days. All time frames in this procedure refer to business days and are subject to modification as necessary.
Upon receipt of a written complaint, AEC Leadership may convene an Accommodation Appeals Review Team or assign an individual to evaluate the complaint and make a recommendation regarding the outcome of the complaint. At a minimum, the evaluation should include an attempt to interview the complainant, a review of any relevant written materials submitted by the complainant, and an effort to obtain information from relevant individuals (i.e. interviews, written statements or documents). AEC Leadership or that person’s designate shall notify the student in writing of the decision regarding the complaint.
The decision regarding formal complaints shall be made by AEC Leadership, with the following exceptions. When the complaint concerns a decision issued specifically by the Senior Director of AEC, the decision shall be made by an Accommodation Appeals Review Team, or the review will be facilitated by another member of AEC Leadership, or in situations regarding procedural error or violation of policy by AEC staff, if it cannot be resolved by AEC Leadership, then will be reviewed by the Assistant Vice Provost (AVP) for Advising and Accessibility. In order to appeal at this level, the individual must provide the AVP information that the individual believes shows they were not provided with due process by the AEC Senior Director.
Examples of formal complaints might include the following allegations of the following matters:
- Procedural error or violation of policy by AEC staff or supervisor.
- Specific mitigating circumstances beyond the student's control not properly taken into account in a decision affecting the student's services.
- Ongoing, repeated failure by AEC to provide an auxiliary aid or alternative media for which AEC has determined the student is eligible.
- Failure by AEC to appropriately intervene after receiving notice that an instructor is refusing to facilitate approved accommodations.
- A decision by an AEC staff member to deny an accommodation request.