Testing accommodations are available to eligible students who experience barriers to taking exams in the classroom. After the student has established testing accommodations with an AEC advisor, they should meet with their instructors to discuss exam arrangements. Many instructors are able to provide testing accommodations by proctoring exams in a nearby office or meeting room. However, if instructors are unable to make alternative exam arrangements, or the student feels their needs cannot be effectively met, they may schedule exams with AEC. AEC typically administers exams Monday through Friday, 8am-5pm. From Monday-Thursday of finals week, AEC administers exams from 8am-8pm.
In order for AEC to proctor exams, the student and instructor are responsible for completing the following steps:
- Student requests notification letters through AEC Connect.
- Instructor fills out the testing agreement by following a link in the notification letter.
- Student schedules exams through AEC Connect prior to AEC’s deadlines.
For exams during weeks 1-10, requests must be submitted 7 days in advance. For exams during finals week, requests must be submitted by the Friday of week 8.
Before a student can schedule exams with AEC, their instructor must complete a testing agreement by following a link in the student’s notification letter. If an instructor has not completed the testing agreement within 48 hours of receiving the notification letter, the student should notify AEC.
The testing agreement provides AEC and the student with important information including:
- When exams may be scheduled
- How exams will be delivered to and returned from the AEC
- What materials (if any) are allowed during exams (e.g. calculator, note card, etc.)
- What equipment (if any) is needed to administer exams (e.g. audio player, computer, etc.)
- How long the class receives to complete each exam type (quiz, midterm, and final)
All exam requests for finals week must be submitted by the Friday of week 8. During finals week, exams are scheduled in predetermined blocks in order to maximize space in our testing locations. For students with 50% extended time, exams are scheduled from 8-11am, 11am-2pm, 2-5pm, and 5-8pm. For students with 100% extended time, exams are scheduled from 8am-12pm, 12-4pm, and 4-8pm.
How to Submit Exam Requests
- Log in to AEC Connect
- On the left side of the screen under “My Accommodations” click “Alternative Testing”
- Select your class from the drop down menu and click “View Alternative Testing Detail” to review the testing agreement that your instructor has submitted
- After you have reviewed the testing agreement, scroll to the top of the page and click “Schedule an Exam”
- Select the request type, enter the exam date and start time, select the accommodations you would like to use for this exam, and click “Add Exam Request”
- If your request is submitted after our deadline, the system will require you to specify a reason for the late request and click "Submit Late Exam Request"
- Click "Alternative Testing" again to verify that your request appears under "Upcoming Exam Requests for the Current Term"
Questions about scheduling exams? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (541) 346-1074.